37. When the noodles are boiled, drain all the hot water and add cold water. This way all the noodles will get separated.
1-50 Kitchen Tips
1. To remove the skin of almonds easily, soak them in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Putting 3-4 cloves in sugar container will keep the ants at bay.
3. If you keep a piece of blotting paper at the bottom of the container, it will keep biscuits fresh for a longer time.
4. Avoid the use of butter. It it is essential to use, use a butter containing low saturated fat or with plant stanols (which avoid absorption of cholesterol by our body) or similar substitutes.
5. Apply some lemon juice on the cut surface of the apple to avoid browning. They will look fresh for a longer time.
6. Apply mashed banana over a burn on your body for cooling effect.
7. Apply a mixture of 1 pinch of chewing tobacco and 1 drop of water. Mix and apply directly and immediately to the sting; cover with bandaid to hold in place. Pain will go away in just a few short minutes.
8. Slit karelas at the middle and apply a mixture of salt, wheat flour and curd all round. Keep aside for ½ hour and then cook.
9. To keep celery fresh for a long time, wrap it in aluminium foil and place in the refrigerator.
10. Place some chopped onion in the vessel having burnt food, pour boiling water in it, keep 5 minutes and then clean.
11. Keeping a small piece of hing (asafoetida) in the same container will store chili powder for long time.
12. Use a wooden board to chop. It will not blunt the knife. Don't use a plastic board, small plastic pieces may go with the vegetables.
13. You can use dried coriander and mint leaves in coarse powder form in vegetable curry or chutney, if fresh ones are not available. To keep them fresh for longer time, wrap them in a muslin cloth and keep in a fridge.
14. Put some boric powder in kitchen in corners and other places. Cockroaches will leave your house.
15. Immerse coconut in water for ½ an hour to remove its hust.
16. To chop dry fruits, place them in fridge for half an hour before cutting. Taking the fruits out and cut them with a hot knife (dip it in hot water before cutting).
17. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin, place it in freezer for a few minutes.
18. Make a small hole in the egg by piercing a pin before boiling it. You will be able to remove its skin very easily.
19. Immerse the egg in a pan of cool salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh; if it rises to the surface, it is certainly quite old.
20. Garlic skin comes off easily if the garlic cloves are slightly warmed before peeling.
21. Avoid the use of ghee. If it is necessary, substitute it with canola oil. Even for making halwa, you can partly substitute it with oil.
22. To keep the chillies fresh for a longer time, remove the stems before storing.
23. To preserve green peas, keep them in a polythene bag in the freezer.
24. Place a betel (paan) leaf over the leftover idli and dosa batter to prevent them from becoming sour.
25. Do not beat idli batter too much, the air of which has been incorporated during fermentation will escape.
26. If you add half a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to the lentil and rice mixture while soaking, dosas will be more crisp.
27. To ripen fruits, wrap them in newspaper and put in a warm place for 2-3 days. The ethylene gas they emit will make them ripe.
28. Avoid deep frying. Substitute deep frying with stir frying or even bake. Don't pour the oil, but make a habit of spraying the oil in utensil for cooking. Heat the utensil first, then add oil. This way oil spreads well. You will use less oil this way.
29. Don't throw away of the foods left over. Store them in fridge. Use them in making tasting dishes.
30. If the lemon or lime is hard, put it in warm water for 5-10 minutes to make it easier for squeeze.
31. Hang a peacock feather, lizards will leave your house.
32. Moisten the base of the vessel with water to reduce the chances of milk to stick at the bottom.
33. Keep spoon in the vessel while boiling milk at medium heat. It will avoid sticking the milk at the bottom of the vessel.
34. Adding half of teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in the milk while boiling will not spoil the milk even if you don't put it in the fridge.
35. Grind some common salt in your mixer/grinder for some time every month. This will keep your mixer blades sharp.
36. Put a few camphor tablets in a cup of water and keep it in the bed room near your bed, or in any place with mosquitoes.
38. To avoid crying, cut the onions into two parts and place them in water for 15 minutes before chopping them.
39. Wrap the onions individually in a newspaper and store in a cool and dark place to keep them fresh for a long time.
40. Watch from the oven window to conserve energy because the oven temperature drops by 25 degrees every time its door is opened.
41. Apply a paste of sodium bicarbonate and water on the walls and floor of the oven and keep the oven on low heat for about half an hour. Dried food can easily be removed.
42. To keep paneer fresh for several days, wrap it in a blotting paper while storing in the refrigerator.
43. Do not fry paneer, immerse it in boiling water to make it soft and spongy.
44. Bake in microwave ovens. Wrap the papads in polythene sheet and place with dal or rice will prevent them from drying and breaking.
45. To prevent the growth of fungus in pickles, burn a small grain of asafoetida over a burning coal and invert the empty pickle jar for some time before putting pickles in the jar.
46. Keep the maize/corn seeds in the freezer and pop while still frozen to get better pops.
47. To bake potatoes quickly, place them in salt water for 15 minutes before baking. Use the skin of boiled potatoes to wipe mirrors to sparkling clean.
48. Don't store potatoes and onions together.
49. Potatoes will rot quickly if stored with onions.
50. To prevent formation of ice, rub table salt to the insides of your freezer.